Google Drive is a cloud storage service by Google which allows you to backup photos, videos & files online to access them anywhere on any smartphone, computer or tablet. Google is still limiting the number of accounts that can access the service during its early days. Installing the 'Google Drive Desktop Application' on your Mac allows you to instantly sync your photos, videos & files on your hard drive to Google Drive & vice-versa. Google Drive allows you to create a special folder (Google Drive folder) on each of your computers for storing the photos, videos, files & documents. Changes made to one Google Drive folder (on your computer) will reflect in other Google Drive folders (on other computers) as well. You can change the location of Google Drive folder. To change the location, click 'Advanced Setup' button. The 'Advanced Setup' option allows you to control your file syncing abilities. You can choose to have Google Drive automatically start every time when your Mac starts up.
Following are the steps to Install Google Drive on Mac:
- Go to https://drive.google.com & sign in to your account. If you don't have an account, then create one.
- Once you have signed into your account, you will see a Google Drive home page.
- Click "Sign In" button located at the upper right corner of the Google Drive welcome page.
- Enter your Google account information.
- You will see a message that 'You will be notified when Google Drive is available to you'. If you see this message, click 'Notify Me' button and Google will send you an email when the service is ready. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- Click "Download Drive for Mac" button located at the side bar of your Google Drive home page.
- Save the 'Google Drive installer file (i.e installgoogledrive.dmg)' to your computer.
- Open the installation file & drag the Google Drive icon into Application folder.
- Open Google Drive from your Applications folder.
- Login to your Google account.
- Click through the set up windows to create Google Drive folder on your computer.
- Launch Google Drive for your Mac from the toolbar.
- Drag files and folders into your Google Drive folder. All the files in your drive will be downloaded to this folder & any time you add photos, videos & files into this folder it will automatically uploaded to your Google Drive account.
- Google Drive desktop application will now be installed on your mac.
Note: While you will be able to access some files while offline, you will still need to be connected to the Internet to open Google documents.
You can install PicBackMan's Google Drive uploader for Mac
from the website and start backing up photos and videos.Quick Tip to Keep your Photos Safe
Making backups of your photos & videos is a chore you probably skip, but it really doesn't have to be hard. Here's an effortless way to backup photos - PicBackMan. PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your photos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your photos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all photos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.