Now that you understand the importance of backing up RAW files that captures all image data recorded by the sensor, let's talk about the best options you have to store and backup RAW files.
1. SD Cards : SD cards are the most affordable media to backup RAW files. Specifically if you are shooting outdoors. They are portable and easy to carry. But, they are certainly not fit for long term backup options. You can use them as a temporary backup solution and when you go back to your studio or home, just transfer all data onto another media such as an external hard drive or something.
2. External Hard Drives : External Hard Drives are also one of the reliable source to backup RAW files. They are relatively affordable and can be used for a long time if handled carefully and efficiently. The biggest advantage of backing up RAW files on an external hard drive is that they offer high storage capacity.
3. USB Flash Drives : USBs are similar to SD cards. They are affordable & offer smaller capacity as compared to external hard drives. Like SD cards USB flash drives are are easy to carry. They come in varied shapes and sizes. You can attach these USB flash drives to bags, key holders, purses etc. and make a gorgeous accessory. Similar to SD cards, they can not be used for long term RAW file backups.
4. Solid State Drive : If we talk about looks, Solid State Drive (SSD) are no different than External Hard Drive. But yes, they do differ in cost & functionality. SSDs are expensive than external hard drives but are offer a faster data transfer. SSD uses less power and are reliable than traditional hard drives.
5. Blu-Ray Disc : Blu ray dics are a good option to store & backup your data but certainly not recommended to backup RAW files. Reason why we are saying this is that all Blu-Ray Disc are prone to get corrupt and malfunction if exposed to light, humidity, and chemicals over time.
6. Cloud Backup : Backing up RAW files on to a cloud is one of the latest trend in photography world. Cloud storage offers you a safe offsite backup option which is accessible from anywhere in the world (an internet connection is required).
You have a lot of options fto backup RAW files. Using a combination of above mentions backup[ options can help you safeguard your RAW files for a long, long time.
Quick Tip to Backup your Digital Photos
If you have treasured photographs, or you take photos of everything you like, you won't want to lose them. So, what is the best way to backup photos on an ongoing basis? In the back of your mind, you know you need to backup all of your photos. But where do you start? Here's how to backup your digital life: PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your videos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your videos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all videos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”