Photography in low light or dim surroundings is not rocket science. But yes, mothers who fret about not being able to click good snaps of their kids in the evening or at night should keep certain tips in mind.
It won’t be long before you master night time photography and boast about it to other moms, as it is definitely an enviable skill. And your kids would also look up to you as a cool techno mom. Here are some pointers that will help you:
1. Get a hang of your camera and it’s features. Familiarize yourself with camera terms like aperture, shutter speed, exposure et al. Practicing photography in the free time during night will help you in getting used to certain settings in your camera. This way, you won’t be taken aback when the actual moment to shoot shows up.
2. Use flash only when there is no other option left. Photographs of your family or children in dim light may not be that sharp and bright, but using a flash would, more often than not, ruin the quality and composure of the picture. So change the settings of the camera as much as possible so that you can avoid using the inbuilt flash
3. Do not hesitate in changing the settings like shutter speed and aperture in your camera. If you do mess up and forget how to get back to previous settings, then remember, there is always a “result all” or “return to default” button. Using this will help you go back to normal auto settings or the factory settings (which means the settings you received when you bought the equipment).
4. Use a tripod. A steady hand, or a steady object cannot always be guaranteed. During the day it might not make such a difference, but to prevent shooting blurry or shaky photos at night, using a tripod is a good idea.
5. If the picture seems very dark in your camera’s LCD screen (the tiny screen which faces you while you click pictures and shows the end result), do not panic. You can edit these pictures later on software like Photoshop or Picasa to fill in a little more light.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”