Did you know that Windows 7 Search has a little known feature which you can use to search on popular search providers and other websites from within Windows Explorer?It makes searching for content much easier with this amazing feature called Federated Search. Federated Search is a process of simultaneously searching multiple online databases or web resources which allows user to search for content from remote locations. Search connectors for various popular websites like Google, Bing, Yahoo, YouTube, MSDN, Flickr, etc. are available online for free.
Here is how you can add Flickr Search Connector to your Windows Search to enable searching images on Flickr directly through your Windows Explorer.
Some of the great features of this technique are described below
- Download the Flickr Search Connector for Windows 7
- Open the flickr.osdx file you just downloaded.
- You will then be prompted to add the connector to Windows. Click Add.
- Once the connector is added, it will automatically open.
- Perform a search in the search box which is located at the top-right corner of Windows Explorer.
- You will see that the search results will gradually start to appear on Windows Explorer.
- You can click on the 'Show Preview Pane' button to preview your results.
- Double clicking a particular search result will open it in your default web browser.
- The process is fast and efficient.
- It provides instant search results. Windows Explorer starts its search operation the second you start typing in the search box just like it does when you search for a file locally.
- Search results appear within the Windows Explorer. You don't have to open your browser or any other application for the same.
- There are a variety of options available when you right click on a particular search result. Images through Flickr can be directly used as wallpapers and transferred anywhere once they appear in your Windows Explorer.