You can send a disappearing photo or video either as a group or individual message. After someone opens a disappearing photo or video you've sent them, the message is no longer visible in their inbox.
Follow the steps below to send a disappearing photo or video:
- Tap the 'camera' icon in the top left of the screen or swipe right from anywhere in Feed.
- Tap the circle at the bottom of the screen to take a photo or video, then choose to add effects.
- Tap the 'right arrow in a box' icon in the bottom right, then select people or groups you'd like to send to:
- When you select multiple people, they'll each get separate, individual messages.
- When you select a group, it starts a single group conversation that anyone in the group can reply to. To create a new group, tap New Group in the top right, select people then tap Create.
- Tap Send at the bottom of the screen.
- Keep in mind that you can only send disappearing photos or videos to people who follow you or have already approved messages from you.
Note: When you send other things using Instagram Direct (ex: posts from Feed, text, hashtags), those messages don't disappear and will remain visible in the conversation.