You can import video into iMovie from your digital still camera with simple steps. To do this, first you need to check whether your digital still camera is compatible with iMovie or not. If you digital still camera is not compatible with iMovie, then you may be able to import video into iPhoto. After importing videos to iMovie, you can use the footage just like any other video footage you import.
Following are the steps to Import Video from a Compatible Digital Still Camera to iMovie:
- Turn ON your Digital Still Camera and set it to import mode.
- Connect the camera to your computer.
- When you connect your camera to computer, it will automatically open the "iPhoto".
- If iPhoto opens, close it.
- Open "iMovie" and click "Import" button in the iMovie toolbar.
- You will see all the video clips from the device.
- You can use the playback controls located below the window to review selected clips.
- You have 3 options to import video clips to iMovie:
a) Import all clips: Make sure the Automatic or Manual switch is set to 'Automatic' and the click "Import All" button.
b) Import most of the clips: Set the Automatic or Manual switch to 'Manual'. Deselect the clips which you don't want to import and then click "Import Checked".
c) Import only a few of the clips: Set the Automatic or Manual switch to 'Manual'. Click "Uncheck All". Select the clips which you want to import and then click "Import Checked".
- Choose the disk where you want to store the video from the “Save to” pop-up menu.
- Organize the imported video in your "Event Library".
a) To add the imported video to an existing Event, select "Add to Existing Event", and then choose its name from the pop-up menu.
b) To create a new Event, type a name for it in the "Create new Event" field. If you want to create a new Event for each day on which the video was recorded, select "Split days into new Events".
- Select "Analyze for stabilization after import" option to analyze your video for stabilization.
- Choose any option i.e "Stabilization" or "Stabilization and People" or "People" from the pop-up menu.
- Click "Import" button.
- All your videos will now be imported to iMovie.