If you want to keep some people from being able to see or comment on the photos and videos you upload, blocking them is the solution. You can block and unblock users using either the Instagram app or the website. You'll have to open someone's profile page to unblock them, as there is no list of users you've blocked. Turning on the "Private Account" option will also ensure that only users you authorize can see your posts.
Blocking a user from the Instagram App:
- Open the Instagram app. You can block users with the Instagram app for your mobile device. Make sure you're signed in with the account you want to block users on.
- Open the profile page for the user you want to block. There are a couple ways you can quickly open a user's profile:
- Navigate to your feed, recommended list, comments section, or direct message conversation and tap on the user's name.
- Tap the magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen to open the Search tab, then type in the user that you want to search for.
- Tap the Menu button in the upper-right corner. The button varies depending on your device:
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch - Tap the "..." button in the upper-right corner.
- Android - Tap the "?" button in the upper-right corner.
- Select "Block User" (iOS) or "Block" (Android). Tap "Yes, I'm sure" to confirm that you want to block the account. The account will be blocked, and that person will no longer be able to see your photos and videos. Your account will no longer appear if they search for you.
- You'll still be able to see that person's comments on pictures other people post, and you'll still be able to view their profile.
- Tap the "Unblock" button to unblock the user. When you tap the "Unblock" button, you'll unblock the user. You'll still need to tap "Follow" if you want to follow them again.
- Block someone that's blocked you. If someone has already blocked you and you need to block them back, you'll have to track down a comment or a like by them.
- Check your mutual friends' pages and see if the person you want to unblock has commented on or liked any of the posts.
- If you can find a comment or like, you can tap the user's name, and then block them using the process above.