For clicking photos of amazing food, technique and skill will only get you far enough to get normal pictures. But if you want your photos to be great and of the highest quality, then it will be wise to invest in some gadgets that will help you shoot like a professional.
First of all, buy a good camera, whether a digital Point and Shoot or a DSLR. Though the quality of camera phones has increased many folds recently, but still buy a proper camera if you are serious about food photography. And while you are buying a camera, get hold of a good camera bag to protect your equipment.
Here are some other gadgets that will help you in clicking fantastic food photos.
- Tripod. One of the basic requirements, to prevent motion blur so that your photos are crisp and sharp.
- A flash bounce or diffuser. Direct flash is too harsh. With the right amount of diffusion, you can take flash photos that don’t even look like they were shot with flash, especially when you are not shooting in natural light.
- A camera holder: It lets you wear your DSLR on your belt, keeping your camera safely out of harm’s way and handy for use.
- Shutter triggers. The iOShutter lets you set off your DSLR’s shutter via sound, motion triggers et al. Helpful for when your hands are at work while cooking.
- A phone stand: A pretty useful accessory when it's a camera phone you are using, and not a fancy camera. When you’re not using as a tripod, you can use it as a stand for reading recipes on your phone.
- A gray card or white balance lens cap. Set a custom white balance to measure the temperature of the light that you’re shooting in. It’ll make your shots look more like they were shot in natural lighting.
Quick Tip to Keep your Photos Safe
Making backups of your photos & videos is a chore you probably skip, but it really doesn't have to be hard. Here's an effortless way to backup photos - PicBackMan. PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your photos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your photos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all photos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.