Mouth-watering fish delicacies, shrimps, crabs and scallops are not only the staple food for most who live in the coastal regions, but also a big hit with inlanders. Seafood specialty restaurants have come up everywhere, which shows the popularity of this protein product.
So it is no doubt irresistible to not take out your cameras or smartphones to click photos of the seafood served on a platter in front of you. Their appeal is in it’s exotic nature and so, shooting them holds a different type of charm.
If you are already into food photography and love shooting whatever it is that you are eating, then follow these bonus tips which will help you in taking great pictures of seafood.
1. There is only a small window between the time seafood is ready and off the stove, and the time when it cools down a bit and gets wrinkled. Seafood can dry out very quickly, particularly under hot lights. When shooting these foods, be sure to always have materials on hand to deal with this lack of moisture.
2. One way to combat this problem is to dab the food with oil or sauces, which will prevent wrinkling and give it a nice shine. You can also lower the temperature of the room or studio where you are shooting, so that it doesn’t go bad quickly.
3. As far as colour element of seafood goes, it is not as vibrant as one would expect. It is usually shades of white, yellow, brown and black. The only saving grace is the garnish or the accompanying elements of the dish, which add a little colour to our photo. So be generous while garnishing seafood, otherwise all your photos would like dull and uninteresting.
4. It is very important to get the lighting and white balance correct in case of seafood. A little yellow overtone in the photo can be interpreted by the viewer as cooking for a longer time to get that colour, which could be disastrous for the fish or prawns.
5. Post processing option gives us the freedom to correct any irregularities in the photo. It doesn’t matter if you have a DSLR or a point-and-shoot camera, editing food photos is absolutely necessary.
Quick Tip to Keep your Photos Safe
Making backups of your photos & videos is a chore you probably skip, but it really doesn't have to be hard. Here's an effortless way to backup photos - PicBackMan. PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your photos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your photos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all photos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”