We've grown so accustomed to taking pictures with reckless abandon that's it is sometimes difficult to draw the line of where to stop clicking. That is how used to we are to visually document every single moment of our lives. No wonder we've forgotten what it's like to be limited by a roll of film.
The sheer volume of these photos scattered across our hard drives in mismatched and poorly named albums can cause a big headache, especially when you sit down to search for a particular photo.
So here are some of the best photo organizing practices which not just professionals, but those who like a clean computer follow:
1. Organize by chronology: That is the fundamental way in which photos should be organized. Digital cameras allow you to store date, time and other useful data along with the photo (this info is usually hidden). A good photo organizing software will detect the date and organize the photos in that manner.
2. If you are not using any photo organizing cum editing software, and sticking to the age old method of copying photos to folders in your computer, then at least rename the folders properly. For example, your friend’s birthday party’s photos can be better saved as “Sara’s Birthday Dec 2013” or “20131209 Sara Birthday”. This way, the folder name will give you all the details you need to know.
3. Download some good photo organizing software like Aperture, Picasa, Lightroom et al, in which you can not only sort photos into different folders, but can also edit those pictures.
4. ALWAYS, yes, always make a backup of your photos. You can either copy them onto an external hard disk so that there is always an extra copy in case something goes wrong, or make a backup online on any photo storage websites with good memory space.
5. Some software allow you to sync your offline/online work with backup systems. So if you import new pictures and edit them on your computer, it will automatically make a backup.
Quick Tip to Backup your Digital Photos
If you have treasured photographs, or you take photos of everything you like, you won't want to lose them. So, what is the best way to backup photos on an ongoing basis? In the back of your mind, you know you need to backup all of your photos. But where do you start? Here's how to backup your digital life: PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your videos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your videos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all videos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”