The most important element of a photo collage is, obviously, the photos you use. And a close second is the layout in which you arrange these photos.
Layouts speak a lot about the person making the collage and the nature of this presentation. A funky photo collage with lots of colours and randomness will tell you that it’s a teenager making a collage about his friends, school, favourite sport, favourite car etc. But a more sophisticated collage with neat lines and finness will tell you that a serious designer with sound knowledge is at work.
Study the basics of layout designs which will help you here while making a photo collage as well. And in addition to that, follow these pointers:
1. Most of the collage making software and apps come with pre-loaded templates of layouts which help you get started quickly. Browse through all those layouts to see which one suits your requirements.
2. The primary aspect of deciding which layout you can use is the number of photos you have. If the collage consists of, say 5 photos, but you select a layout with only 4 photos, then that is not an ideal layout as per your need.
3. The templates, usually in triple digits, are usually designed by professionals and do not have any flaws which a layout by an amateur would have. So trust those templates and go with the flow. Try not to play around with layout, like adding another photo on your own or changing the position of other photos – it might not look good from design point of view.
4. If you are being adventurous and want to make a collage layout yourself, then keep simple designing rules in mind. For instance, take care of margins between photos as well as from the edge of the collage, overlap photos only if you are not concealing anyone’s face, limb or a significant object, make cut-outs only of clean figures et al.
5. Try to have at least one or two holding pictures, i.e. photos that are significantly larger than other photos, so that other photos can be arranged around them. Try to add text and captions, but that is optional.
Quick Tip to Backup your Digital Photos
If you have treasured photographs, or you take photos of everything you like, you won't want to lose them. So, what is the best way to backup photos on an ongoing basis? In the back of your mind, you know you need to backup all of your photos. But where do you start? Here's how to backup your digital life: PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your videos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your videos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all videos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”