We thought that clicking and capturing night scenes is no less that rocket science. We thought, that it involved lot of hard work to click pictures in the night time, until we came across these tips. After reading the tips below, we realized that it is just a matter of understanding and a little knowledge about your camera functions & settings that can help you click better night time photos.
If, you too are looking for tips to improve night time photography, please read the tips below.
1. Aperture setting: While most of the photographers use f/16 aperture setting for landscape photography during day time. This aperture setting help getting full depth of field. However, during night it is impractical because there is not enough light. So, if you change your aperture setting from f/16 to f/4 or f/5.6 you would be able to capture better night shots as compared to the shots taken in f/16.
2. Check for white balance: Changing the white balance setting in your camera can help you get better colors in the sky as compare to default white-balance settings. It may also help you see other details that go missing in plain dark black sky.
3. Effect of aperture on your light sources: Clicking night shots isn’t easy. There are different light sources in your night photo. Stopping down your aperture will take longer time to get the photo and at the same time it will create a star-burst like effect around the light source. See how your aperture settings affect the end results.
4. Use Tripod: A steady & still camera is very important to click photos in the night time. Using a tripod will allow you to keep your camera steady for those long exposures as well as give you flexibility to get the angles you need.
5. Shutter Speed: Usually, shooting in night means that there will be less light. Therefore, a slow shutter speed (anywhere from 1-30 seconds) will help you capture a well lit picture. A slow shutter speeds is perfect to capture objects at night or in dim environments.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”