Food photography is more than just pointing your camera at the dish and clicking away. A good photo must give details about the volume, the ingredients, the colour, the texture and plating ideas about the food you intend to shoot.
A delicious plate of food can look unappetizing (even if it is not) if not photographed properly. Apart from the basic photography rules that apply here, you must keep in mind these addition tips, which will accentuate the food item in the images.
1. Check white balance: If you are not shooting in Auto mode, then it is important to check your camera’s white balance. Food is mostly shot indoors and in artificial light, so adjusting the white balance will bring out the true colours. Otherwise in yellow light, your food might end up looking more yellow.
2. Use your elbows as a tripod. You don’t need a separate tripod for this kind of macro photography, so a steady pair of hands would do just fine.
3. In low light situation, use large aperture. This shortens shutter speed and blurring which in turn allows you click sharper photos.
4. Use natural light to click photos of dishes or fresh food. And to do that, you must cook and click during the day, as it allows you to click photos in natural light. At night, the tungsten touch might not be that appetizing.
5. While editing your photos, check if the photos are a too dark and if yes then brighten them up. All editing softwares, even the basic ones, allow you to “fill light” in a photo. So use that while editing food photos.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”