Call it addiction or fascination, photographing chocolates is just as satisfying as savouring them. With so many websites which show ways of making chocolate -related recipes and food blogs bragging about great chocolates from around the world, it is important to get good photos t o go with them.
Photographing chocolates, unlike food photography, is different in a sense that your subjects are delicate and delicious pieces of chocolates. So treat it with care and follow these simple tips while shooting it.
1. Always shoot under a constant light source. Natural light might not always work in case of chocolates, so get external lighting to bring out a nice shine on the surface of the chocolates. Since you would be clicking up close, a table lamp directly above or from an angle will provide adequate lighting.
2. Choose your background according to the chocolate you are shooting. Dark chocolates will need different backgrounds than white chocolates.
3. Use tongs to handle chocolates. You don’t want to get your fingerprints on the surface of the chocolates, especially since every tiny detail is visible in macro photography.
4. Chocolate needs to be photographed in the right temperature. Too cold a room will make them appear too hard or "bricky", whereas a warm temperature will make the chocolate texture melt a bit and create the "runny moist" look.
5. If your chocolate has been in the refrigerated before the shoot, then make sure that there isn’t a drastic temperature change when you take it out for photographing.
6. In humid climates, little drops of condensation might appear on the surface of the chocolates, so shoot fast before it gets ruined (in looks of course).
7. Use embellishments and decorations to make your chocolates look festive. Shoot it with the chocolate box, with ribbons, in shiny foils, in a bowl next to a glass of milk, etc. Styling your chocolates is important since attractive chocolates photograph better than normal mundane ones.
Quick Tip to ensure your Photos never go missing
Photos are precious memories and all of us never want to ever lose them to hard disk crashes or missing drives. PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your photos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your photos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all photos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”