Photo stream has a limit i.e. it can store only the latest 1000 photos in the device’s Photo Stream (i.e. Recently Added). If you add more photos exceeding this limit, older photos will be deleted. But if you download them to your PC you won’t have this limitation.
If you do want to use Photo Stream and want to download and store those photos locally in your PC, here's the step by step guide to download iPhone Photos from My Photo stream to PC
- First you need to download iCloud control panel software to your PC and install it
- Run the iCloud software and turn on Photos -> My Photo Stream.
- Go to the Windows Explorer. You can now see on the sidebar, under the Favorites branch there is a new folder called iCloud Photos. You can see this too if you click on the Computer branch. Alternatively, you can go directly to the path you have set previously in the iCloud options.
- If you open any of this folder you will see My Photo Stream and other Shared Album folders.Your Photos should start to appears now as they are downloaded to your PC.
- Open My Photo Stream and you should see all the photos.