Food photography is so much more than just photography. It involves a lot of thought process and creativity to photograph food. No matter how you food tastes, but it should always look beautiful and mouth watering. Like many rules in photography there are rules & guideline for food photography as well. We just explained the first rule in the previous line. i.e. no matter how your food tastes, but it should be tempting and delicious in the picture. People should drool just by seeing the photograph of it. So, here are some of the food photography rules you must know
1. If you really want your food pictures to come out really well, set up a studio kind of setting. You do not need a whole photo studio kind set-up but some corner or a place that solves the purpose. A large table that can occupy your food plate, couple of accessories, props a light stand etc is sufficient.
2. Stylize your food. Ever heard of food stylists? A food stylist is a person who create a scene for food photography, use props etc to enhance photos. You have to imagine a scene before you actually start clicking. Think of ways that you can add some extra colors to your food, It could be just a color napkin beside your food plate or a candle stand right behind in the background. This is what food styling is all about. The whole focus is on your food, but these things add sparkle to your picture.
3. Say no bigger and brighter lights. Work with natural light as much as possible. Natural light is best for food photography. However, if there comes a situation where you need to use an artificial source, use light and smaller lights instead of big and brighter ones.
4. Never light food from front. If you ever need an additional source to light your food, make sure it is not placed right in front of it. Neither it should face the camera. So, the best advice would be, 'Avoid any artificial light source as much as you can'. If you still need any, use a dim light from the top of the food.
5. See other professional photographer's work for inspiration. Have you ever seen how professional food photographers spend hours working with the light and styling the food? They put in a lot of hard work to make food look appetizing. When ever you get a chance to see food photographers working, don't miss the opportunity.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”