There is no greater panic than realizing that your system has crashed, and all your priceless photos are lost. Within seconds, all your invaluable photos can get deleted, either due to an attack by one virus or a meltdown of your system. It is because of this reason that is considered extremely necessary to create a backup of your photos. If you are looking for a way for creating backup of your photos so that you have an extra copy stored some place other than your system, then Dropbox is the perfect solution for you. It is an online storage facility that helps you in creating a back-up of all your photos in one place so that they may remain safe in case of an emergency (crashing of hard drive, accidental deletion, and virus). Consider it as an imaginary box where you are dropping all your photos and images for future use as well as for protecting them from any harm.
Getting started with it:
Dropbox is a cloud storage facility that provides you the capability of storing as much as 18 GB of data. Initially, you get 2 GB of storage space for free; then you can gain an additional 500 MB for referring any of your friends to use it. It can go up to 16 GB. In addition to this Dropbox also provides its users the option of paid solutions which start from 100 GB and go up to 500 GB at monthly rates. You can easily create a back-up of your photos just by following the steps given below:
- For getting started with it, first of all you need to create a Dropbox account. For doing this just visit their website and sign up for an account. As told earlier you can select either the free or the paid version.
- After successfully creating your account, just login to your account. When you would login for the first time, the site will automatically prompt you to download the software.
- Thereafter, the launch the software by clicking on the program icon. A simple looking window will open up in front of you.
- Now you just need to drag the folders containing the photos from their respective locations into the Dropbox window. This would create a copy of these photos in the cloud on the net.
- Alternately there is also an option for directly uploading the folders to net instead of dragging them. Just locate the upload icon and click on it. It will open a pop-up menu. Just browse and locate the folder from where you want to upload the photos. Select the photos that you wish to upload and click OK.
Every photo that you upload or save in Dropbox is backed up in the cloud storage where it is kept safe and secured from all possible attacks to delete it.