When doing a newborn photo shoot you can select a theme and create quirky, funny and cute photographs. Newborns have soft, pliable bodies and so you can actually prop them up into practically any position making it easy to fit the baby into your theme background. Remember though, this could be one long shoot and you will need lots and lots of patience (as you need a sound asleep newborn), as well as probably a lot of props, but the results will make it worth every second. Here are 5 unique themes for newborn photographs.
1. Night sky: Use a dark blue bedspread as the background. Place white or silver colored cut-outs of stars and planets all around the bedspread leaving the center empty. Then dress the baby in the same colored outfit as the cut-outs but a different shape, maybe the moon, and place him/her in the centre of the bed. Shoot the baby with the bedspread as the background from directly above your sleeping newborn. You will see the most beautiful moon ever!
2. Vegetables or animals: Place vegetable-shaped cushions or stuffed toys on a blanket or in a large basket. Place your sleeping baby, also dressed in the same themed costume in the center. Make sure the baby's costume stands out. For vegetables go with something like a dark purple aubergine or bright red tomato, while for animals try out something like an elephant, zebra, or tiger (you could even draw little whiskers).
3. Cartoon characters: Create the background based on the character you choose on a bedspread or blanket. A castle, ship, toy house, etc., can be made by folding sheets and towels into the shape you want. Place your baby dressed as the character in this setting. Since you are trying to make a two-dimensional background look like three-dimensional, shoot from directly above the sleeping baby.
4. Space themed: Here you would need to create a background of a spaceship, space station or a UFO. Use sheets, napkins, towels, socks and other common material available in the home to make this. Dress up the baby in what looks like a space suit and place him/her in the spaceship, and you are ready to shoot. Once again, remember to shoot from directly above.
5. Corporate executive: For this look you do not need an elaborate background, even a simple blanket will do. The focus here is the newborn's clothes. Dress the baby in oversized formal clothes, or even just a tie will work wonders.
Quick Tip to Keep your Photos Safe
Making backups of your photos & videos is a chore you probably skip, but it really doesn't have to be hard. Here's an effortless way to backup photos - PicBackMan. PicBackMan is the easiest and simplest way to keep your photos safely backed up in one or more online accounts. Simply download PicBackMan (it's free!), register your account, connect to your online store and tell PicBackMan where your photos are - PicBackMan does the rest, automatically. It bulk uploads all photos and keeps looking for new ones and uploads those too. You don't have to ever touch it.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”