If you are trying your hands on shooting at night, let me tell you the truth. It is a little hard to master this skill. Shooting at night requires longer exposure time and slow shutter speed. You need to be extra careful when handling your camera for such a shoot. The best thing you can do to master the art of night photography is practice & experiment. Play around with your camera settings and check if it was useful to you.
If you need help with some creative ideas to begin the fun, read on. Below we have some of the creative ideas you can refer to begin photographing.
1. Light trails : you can capture some magical pictures of light trails using a slow shutter speed and long exposure time. You might have seen pictures of traffic where all you see is the light trails and a few vehicles. That is the scene we are talking about. Or Ask a friend of yours to hold a torch and write something in air with it. You'll be surprised to see the results. We would advise you to use a tripod for this experiment, as holding a camera still for as long as 30 seconds is really difficult.try this setting aperture f/18, ISO100 and shutter speed as 30 seconds.
2. Reflections : The best time to capture reflections is during night. Because in daytime they are dependent on the sunlight and working with it is very difficult. While working with reflections during night all you have to worry about is the man-made-lights. Try to capture scenes that are full of colors. The reflections of these colorful lights merge in water and give a beautiful effect. The ideal setting to capture reflection is f/4.5 for 8 seconds at ISO 100.
3. Stars & moon : You can capture some interesting photos of the moon and stars. If you step out everyday during night, you'll get to capture different phases of moon. Also the color of the moon changes from time to time. For example during early hours of moon rise it is on the yellow side where as in late hours it is white and bright.
4. Sky : There are a variety of effects available to capture the sky. The movements of the clouds, the movement of the stars or the moon, the colors at different time etc. are some ideas for you to work with. If you expose a photo long enough, the small amount of light in the sky will multiply enough times to produce a cool bluish/purple color.
5. City spaces : We lose sunlight by the night but we get 1000s of illuminating tiny little artificial light sources to lit-up the entire city. These lights are of different color and tonal quality. It is the best time to capture your city in entirely new light. The changes in lighting brings an all new picture in front of your eyes. So capturing these changes in lights, shadows and colors is indeed a fascinating & creative idea.
Quick Tip to Prevent Photo loss Nightmare with PicBackMan
In the case of losing irreplaceable memories like treasured family photos, it can even be heartbreaking. Luckily, with PicBackMan backing up your photos to multiple services and cloud accounts is easier than ever before. PicBackMan can save you from the absolute disaster of losing your photos by safely backing them up in one or more online accounts.
Automate backup & migration of your photos & videos with support for all top services.
Trusted by users in 125+ countries.
“Your pictures are scattered. PicBackMan helps you bring order to your digital memories.”